Saturday, September 4, 2010

Response to Eastwoods Behavior at Board Meeting

To the Middletown community,

I was outraged at Dr. Eastwood's unwarranted and vicious attacks upon the Mayor and myself during the September 2nd meeting of the Board of Education. After the Record's editorial, one would have thought that he would have tempered his remarks. Although he seemed to be able to control his temper earlier in the evening, his final remarks were an unwarranted angry attack upon the Mayor and myself. It appears to me that Ken has a problem with anyone who offers a difference of opinion, or introduces issues not on his personal agenda. Lets not forget, after the initiation of the article 78, it was Dr. Eastwood who started the verbal battle with the Mayor. He accused him of being opposed to the needs of our children. I would like to thank Ken for associating me with the Mayor rather than with himself. Unlike him, we are both life long residents of the city, and our families go back for generations in this area. Since Ken is a very new resident in Middletown, I find it perplexing and presumptuous that he would assume a greater commitment to the needs of our children than us. Moreover, unlike him, we both have been elected to represent the citizens of Middletown.

In Dr Eastwood's tirades, two issues need to be clarified. First, his accusation that I stated a rumor about mold in Chorley. My first email on the subject was a request for an examination of the building. I had heard conflicting comments, and wanted the issue investigated. A copy of this email was also sent to the mayor. Upon this request, I was immediately attack by Dr. Eastwood, and even threatened with legal action. Rather than dealing immediately with this issue, he only had an examination done for mold after the State Health Department was notified about the water leak problem, and information about this problem was placed on the blog. Questions about the potential for future water leaks in this building remain.

Another issue that needs to clarified is concerning the topic of the IEP diploma. I first brought this issue up as part of my discussion of a routine IEP motion; I was prohibited from discussing this issue, and ruled out of order. My response was to vote no on the motion. I will not vote yes on any motion which I am unable to discuss. It would not be correct for me to approve a motion without the necessary information or input. This information was only provided at the next meeting.

Overall I find Dr. Eastwood's behavior disturbing. He often verbally attacks board members at meetings, but hides behind his contract when board members do likewise. First of all, as an employee of the board, he is not in a position to verbally attack any board member, and he often forgets that he is not our boss. He has even gone so far as to use the district web site to attack board members. I am sure that he would not tolerate this behavior from any of his subordinates. I wish he would act accordingly.

Dr. Nicholas A. Mauro